Aligning our diet and lifestyle to the changing of seasons helps us maintain a connection to nature. Traditionally the rhythms of the seasons played an immensely important role in many ancient civilisations. According to Ayurvedic medicine, spring is the best time to detox and cleanse the excess and stagnation of winter. It is a time to eat light and easy-to-digest meals and start incorporating some cleansing practices.
- Ginger and Lemon Tea – Starting the day with the juice of half a lemon and a few slices of fresh ginger is the perfect way to kick-start your metabolism. This will cleanse your digestive tract and is also helpful for initiating bowel movements in the morning.
- Seasonal Salads – Start incorporating lighter meals into your diet. Shop for local seasonal produce that’s available in spring and experiment with quinoa, nuts and seeds and seasonal vegetables such as artichokes, Asian vegetables, broad beans, parsley, radish, squash and zucchini. Local farmers markets are a great place for sourcing seasonal local produce.
- Gut Cleanse - Give your gut a bit of a break and go light on foods that can cause bloating and bacterial overgrowth. Try minimising or removing wheat and dairy for a month and take a probiotic supplement. Better still, incorporate ferment vegetables such as sauerkraut into your diet which feed the friendly bacteria. Speak with a naturopath or nutritionist for a tailored gut protocol.
- Dry Body Brushing – The skin is the largest organ of the body and is an organ of elimination, just like your kidneys, liver and colon. Dry brushing helps exfoliates the skin’s outer layer and increases blood circulation. Dry brush first thing in the morning before you shower using a dry, natural-bristle brush. Start with upwards strokes at the soles of the feet, gradually working your way towards the heart.
- Lymphatic Drainage Massage- This is a light and delicate form of massage using rhythmic movements to increase the flow of the lymphatic fluid in the body. The lymphatic system contains lymph nodes which act as filters for foreign particles and form part of the immune system. Increasing the flow of lymphatic fluid helps reduce swelling, detoxify the body and support the immune system in dealing with seasonal allergies.
Yours in natural health,
Always consult your healthcare professional before commencing a new dietary or exercise regime, before using any supplements and before making any changes to prescribed medications.