New Year New You!

by
on

New Year New You!

It’s the beginning of a New Year and many people are setting New Year’s resolutions with weight loss and getting healthy at the top of many people’s minds!  However, quick fixes don’t work in the long run.  Taking a holistic approach to health that touches on different areas of wellbeing will bring the best results.

These are my top tips to incorporate into your lifestyle to stay healthy all year round!

Lemon Water – Start the day with the juice of half a lemon in a glass of water.  Lemon water will support both your liver and your gut which are fundamental to good health as well as the bonus of promoting clear and healthy skin!   Lemon water supports the enzyme functions in your body, stimulating the liver and flushing out toxins as well as supporting digestive function, helping your body take up nutrients from food and keeping food moving smoothly through the gut.  Lemon contains the antioxidant vitamin C which helps fight free radicals and produce collagen.

80:20 Rule – Apply this rule to healthy eating and you will forget about fad diets.  Make healthy eating a priority 80% of the time by avoiding processed food, incorporating wholefoods into your diet, avoiding sugar and eating some raw veggies at least once a day!   Leave room in your lifestyle to have a treat the other 20% of the time.  This way you can enjoy the treat without feeling guilty because you know the rest of the time you will be focusing on getting lots of fresh and nutritious wholefoods into your diet.

Journaling - Start a daily journaling practice to reduce stress and feel calmer.  Writing about your feelings will help you process the stressors of life, clarify your thoughts, and uncover what makes you feel happy in life.  By writing daily, you can gain an insight into what you want out of life and be able to make decisions more easily.    The benefits reach even further, with researchers at the University of Texas discovering that journaling increases the strength of T-Lymphocytes, immune cells that help your body to fight off infection.

Exercise – There’s no doubt that exercise is good for us and can improve our emotional as well as our physical wellbeing.  Regular exercise can help our heart, weight, bones, hormones, immune health and release those feel good endorphins that alleviate low mood.  The most important thing is to find a form of exercise that you enjoy and that suits your lifestyle!  It takes about 30 days to create a new habit, so make space for it in your schedule and do it at the same time and place for a month to settle into the new habit!

Yours in natural health,

Penny